Sarah practises primarily in commercial and public law. Sarah also accepts briefs in some criminal, quasi-criminal and common law matters.
Sarah is regularly briefed to advise and appear in trials, appeals and other hearings within those fields, including in competition and consumer law, constitutional law and administrative law matters. In 2018, Sarah was part of the team of counsel assisting the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.
Before coming to the Bar, Sarah was an Associate to the Hon Justice Stephen Gageler AC at the High Court of Australia. Sarah also worked as a Trial Division Researcher at the Supreme Court of Victoria, as a solicitor in the Dispute Resolution team of King & Wood Mallesons, and as a sessional lecturer in the JD program at Melbourne Law School.
Sarah holds undergraduate degrees in Arts and Law (with First Class Honours) from the University of Melbourne, and a Master of Laws from Harvard Law School.
Recent matters in which Sarah has been briefed include:
Commercial and regulatory law
- ACCC v BlueScope Steel Ltd (Federal Court of Australia, ongoing): for the ACCC, led by M Hodge QC, with S Chordia
- Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Ltd v ACCC  FCA 117: for the ACCC, led by M Hodge QC and C Button QC, with N de Young, T Prince and D Foster
- Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry (2018): Part of the team of counsel assisting, led by R Orr QC and M Hodge QC, with A Dinelli, E Dias, M Costello, M Hosking, C Schneider and T Farhall
- Director, Consumer Affairs Victoria v The Reject Shop  FCA 211: for the respondent company, led by R Orr QC and P Neskovcin QC
- Application for merger authorisation by Tabcorp Holdings  ACompT 1: for the ACCC, led by A McClelland QC, with K Anderson, P Thiagarajan and I Cowen
- Abrahams v Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Federal Court of Australia, 2017, resolved prior to hearing): for the applicants, led by R Merkel QC, with E Nekvapil
Sarah also has experience in matters involving misuse of market power (Federal Court of Australia, led by R Orr QC, with D Roche), foreign bribery (led by R Orr QC, with M Keks) and proceeds of crime (County Court of Victoria, led by R Craig QC).
- LibertyWorks Inc v The Commonwealth (High Court of Australia, reserved): for the Commonwealth, led by S Donaghue QC, Solicitor-General of the Commonwealth, with B Lim
- Zhang v Commissioner of Police  HCA 16: for the Commissioner, led by S Donaghue QC and P Herzfeld SC
- Palmer v Western Australia  FCA 1220 and  FCA 1221: for the Attorney-General of the Commonwealth, intervening, led by S Donaghue QC, with P Herzfeld and M Hosking
- Zheng v Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police  HCATrans 91: for the Commissioner, led by L Cheeseman SC, with D O’Leary
- Smethurst v Commissioner of Police  HCA 14; (2020) 94 ALJR 502: for the Commissioner and the Attorney-General of the Commonwealth, intervening, led by S Donaghue QC and C Lenehan SC
- Minogue v Victoria (No 2)  HCA 31; (2019) 93 ALJR 1031: for the State of Victoria, led by P Hanks QC, with A Pound
- Palmer v Australian Electoral Commission  HCA 24; (2019) 93 ALJR 947: for the Attorney-General of the Commonwealth, led by S Donaghue QC, with G del Villar
- Re Canavan  HCA 45; (2017) 263 CLR 284: for Mr Windsor, led by R Merkel QC and J Gleeson SC, with E Nekvapil
Sarah also has experience in matters relating to s 90 of the Constitution (High Court of Australia, led by K Walker QC, Solicitor-General for Victoria, R Orr QC and C Young SC) and s 109 of the Constitution (Supreme Court of Victoria, led by P Hanks QC).
Administrative and other public law matters
- Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police v Luppino  FCAFC 43: for the Commissioner, led by N Williams SC
- Harris v Victorian Electoral Commission  VSC 676: for the plaintiffs, led by P Hanks QC
- DBE17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  HCA 47; (2019) 94 ALJR 41 (and related proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia): for the applicant, led by B Walker SC and B Quinn QC, with M Albert and M Guo
- Chief Commissioner of Police v AMJK Pty Ltd
 VSC 250: for the Chief Commissioner, led by P Hanks QC
- Northern Territory v Griffiths; Commonwealth v Griffiths  FCAFC 106; (2017) 256 FCR 478: for the native title party, led by S Glacken QC, with G Hill
- Proceedings under the Extradition Act 1988 (Cth): for the requested person, led by R Orr QC, C Harris QC and L De Ferrari SC (see, eg, United States v Ghodskani  FCA 14)
- Proceedings in the original jurisdiction of the High Court of Australia, the original and appellate jurisdictions of the Federal Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth): for both the applicant and the Minister, and both led and unled
- Eildon Resort Pty Ltd v State of Victoria (Supreme Court of Victoria, resolved prior to hearing): for the State of Victoria, led by L Brown, Crown Counsel
- Proceedings for the recovery of land (Supreme Court of Victoria, resolved prior to hearing): for a local council, led by R Orr QC, with R Knowles
- Proceedings alleging professional negligence against legal representatives (Supreme Court of Victoria): for a member of counsel, led by D Collins QC, and for a firm of solicitors, led by S Horgan QC
Sarah read with Alistair Pound, and her senior mentor was Christopher Caleo QC.
Sarah is currently a reporter for the Commonwealth Law Reports.
From 27 Oct 2016, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.