Marissa's practice at the bar comprises three main areas: coronial inquests, administrative law and planning and environment law.
Her clients include statutory authorities, Victoria Police and other large government departments as well as property developers and corporations.
She appears regularly in VCAT particularly in the Review and Regulation and Planning and Environment lists and has appeared both led and unled
in the Supreme Court.
Cases in which Marissa has been briefed include:
Coronial inquests, acting for 30 Victoria Police members in the inquest into the 2017 Bourke St event (with R Ellyard)
- VCAT merits review for Victorian state government departments/agencies in the areas of licensing, private security, Working with Children Checks
and freedom of information. See for example K & M Harris Pty Ltd v Chief Commissioner of Police  VCAT 1777; ZZN v Firearms Appeals
Committee  VCAT 1563; Gilmore v Victoria Police FOI Division  VCAT 899; Glascott v VicRoads  VCAT 1472 and Shirley v
Secretary to the Department of Justice and Regulation  VCAT 1247
- Judicial review proceedings including advice regarding potential questions of law and prospects of success on appeal. See for example Khan
v VCAT  VSC 549
- Appearing before the Suitability Panel established pursuant to the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005 in hearings concerning allegations
made against out of home carers
Planning and environment and property including:
- Trials and appeals in the Valuation, Compensation and Planning List of the Supreme Court see for example Alex Fraser Pty Ltd v Minister for
Planning  VSC 391 (led by Andrew Woods) and Konann Pty Ltd v Casey City Council  VSC 565 (led by Greg Harris QC)
- Acting for permit applicants in VCAT merits review proceedings. See for example Carringbush Property Group Pty Ltd v Moreland CC  VCAT
1066 (led by Paul Connor QC); 3 Dickens Street Pty Ltd v Boroondara CC  VCAT 2144 (regarding whether an application was amended)
(led by Paul Connor QC); Bryan v Boroondara CC  VCAT 1057 (heritage case) (led by Paul Connor QC); McIntosh v Yarra Ranges SC 
VCAT 857 (reverse amenity and repeat appeal case) (led by Paul Connor QC) and Moda Armadale v Stonnington CC  VCAT 1581 (led by Susan
- Appearing before Planning Panels in respect of planning scheme amendments and major projects
- Advising potential claimants in relation to acquisition and valuation of land pursuant to the Major Transport Projects Facilitation Act 2009
and the Land Acquisition and Compensation Act 1986
Immediately before joining the Bar, Marissa was the Senior Associate to the Honourable Justice Emerton (now a Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court
of Victoria), at which time her Honour was both the judge in charge of the Valuation, Compensation and Planning List and a judge of the Criminal
Prior to her associateship, Marissa worked as a solicitor at the Victorian Government Solicitor's Office. During her time there, she represented
Victorian state government departments and agencies in a broad range of administrative law proceedings.
Marissa holds a Masters of Law from New York University as well as Bachelor of Arts and Law (with Honours) from the University of NSW. She read
with Rachel Ellyard and her Senior Mentor was Peter Hanks QC.
From 6th May 2016, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.