Daniel has a broad appearance and advice practice, with particular expertise in commercial law and equity, common law and insurance, and criminal matters.
Daniel regularly appears in all Victorian courts and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), and in federal courts. Daniel regularly appears
both at first instance and on appeal.
Daniel frequently acts in wills, probate, and estate matters, and in commercial and property cases involving allegations of breaches of trust and/or fiduciary
Daniel's recent experience includes:
- proceedings involving breach of contract, debt, consumer law, property, and breaches of trust (eg Bullhead Pty Ltd v Brickmakers Place Pty Ltd (in liq) & Ors  VSCA 316);
interlocutory applications, including freezing orders, applications for release from the Harman obligation, and costs disputes (eg
Bullhead Pty Ltd v Brickmakers Place Pty Ltd (in liq) & Ors  VSCA 50);
- Corporations Act matters, such as statutory demands and oppression; and
- commercial arbitration.
Equity, trusts, and family law:
proceedings involving wills, trusts, testator family maintenance (TFM) claims, and guardianship matters (eg Demediuk v Demediuk
 VSCA 79);
- proceedings involving unit trusts (eg PharmX Pty Ltd (in its capacity as trustee of the PharmX Unit Trust) v Fred IT Group Pty Ltd (No 3)  VSC 748); and
- advising upon family law proceedings involving complex property issues (eg family companies and trusts).
- intentional tort matters (especially malicious prosecution and false imprisonment, eg Setka v Dalton  VSC 521);
personal injury and negligence matters, including proceedings involving foreign jurisdictions (eg Vale v Daumeke & Ors (2017)
323 FLR 418;  VSC 467);
- product liability, occupier's liability, motor vehicle, and general insurance matters; and
- professional liability and discipline.
Art law and cultural property / movable cultural heritage law:
- advising upon the applicability of the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 (Cth) (and the Regulations thereunder); and
- advising with regard to a forgery claim.
- intervention orders, bail applications, and proceedings involving property and dishonesty offences, and driving offences.
Before coming to the Bar, Daniel was a solicitor at Allens, an Associate to the Hon Justice Robson of the Supreme Court of Victoria, and an Associate to
the Reserve Judges (including the Hon Justices Ashley, Bongiorno AO, and Coghlan) of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Daniel holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours from the University of Melbourne, and a Master of Law with First Class
Honours from the University of Cambridge (where he was the Davis McCaughey Scholar).
Daniel has published in a number of journals on a variety of subjects including negligence, product liability, and cultural property law (an area in which
Daniel has particular interest and expertise). He is also a reporter for the Victorian Reports.
Please click here to see Daniel's CV (which includes a complete list
of publications and presentations).
Daniel read with Anthony Strahan (now QC) and Richard H Stanley, and his senior mentor is Chris Winneke QC.
From 6th May 2016, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.