Colette practises primarily in public and commercial law.
Before coming to the Bar, Colette served as Associate to Justice Edelman of the High Court of Australia.
Earlier, she practised as a solicitor at King & Wood Mallesons, predominantly in competition law, and served as Associate to Justice Katzmann of the Federal Court of Australia.
Colette holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws, with first class honours, from Monash University and a Master of Laws from Columbia University, which she attended on a scholarship and where she was named a James Kent Scholar.
Colette has served as a Fellow at Melbourne Law School, where she lectured in constitutional law. She has also published work in the Public Law Review.
A selection of her recent matters is as follows:
- Slea Pty Ltd v Connective Services Pty Ltd (Supreme Court of Victoria): acted for the plaintiffs in a 52-day commercial trial involving claims of oppression and breaches of directors’ duties (led by Michael Hodge QC, with Kathleen Foley and Geoffrey Kozminsky) (reserved).
- Lees v Connective Services Pty Ltd  VSCA 143 (Court of Appeal): acted for the successful respondents in appeal concerning the scope of the Court’s power pursuant to s 241 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (led by Catherine Button QC, with Geoffrey Kozminsky).
- Thexton v Mialls Gun Shop (Supreme Court of Victoria): acted for defendants in personal injury proceeding, including claims of negligence and breaches of trade practices legislation (led by Richard Attiwill QC) (resolved).
- iSignthis Limited v ASX Limited (Federal Court of Australia): acting for ASX in proceeding brought by applicant concerning the suspension of its securities from quotation on the Australian Securities Exchange (led by Catherine Button QC, with Brendan Lim).
- Flash Lighting Company Ltd v Australia Kunqian International Energy Co Pty Ltd & Ors (High Court of Australia): acting for respondent to special leave application, concerning contract dispute (led by Jonathon Moore QC, with Geoffrey Kozminsky).
- Salter Brothers Asset Management Pty Ltd & Anor v Hendry & Ors (Federal Court of Australia): acting for cross-respondent in proceeding concerning, among other things, breach of contract and employment entitlements (led by Robert Craig SC).
- The liquidators of Walton Construction Pty Ltd and Walton Construction (Queensland) v Walton & Ors (Federal Court of Australia): acting for respondents alleged to have aided and abetted breaches of directors’ duties (with Geoffrey Kozminsky).
- COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry: acted for the Department of Premier and Cabinet (led by Richard Attiwill QC).
- Ridd v James Cook University (High Court of Australia): acting for appellant (special leave granted:  HCATrans 15) in appeal concerning nature and scope of right to intellectual freedom in university enterprise agreement (led by Stuart Wood QC, with Ben Jellis).
- ACCC v TasPorts (Federal Court of Australia): acting for the ACCC in proceeding under s 46 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (led by Wendy Harris QC and Nick De Young QC, with Chris Tran).
- Celsius Fire Services Pty Ltd v Magistrates’ Court of Victoria  VSC 835 (Supreme Court of Victoria): acted for the successful plaintiff in judicial review proceeding arising out of a prosecution under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic) (led by Anthony Strahan QC).
- IPO Wealth Pty Ltd v ASIC (Federal Court of Australia): acted for ASIC in proceeding brought by the applicant, seeking to restrain ASIC from issuing a warning notice under s 12GLC of the ASIC Act 2001 (Cth) on administrative law grounds (led by Richard Knowles SC).
- WOTCH v VicForests (Supreme Court of Victoria): acting for the plaintiff in proceeding concerning legality of certain logging activities following the 2019/2020 bushfires (led by Kathleen Foley, with Julia Watson). See WOTCH v VicForests (No 2)  VSC 99; WOTCH v VicForests (No 3)  VSC 220; WOTCH v VicForests (No 4)  VSC 433.
- Commissioner for the Australian Federal Police v Chauhan (County Court of Victoria): acting for the Commissioner of the AFP in novel proceeds of crime proceeding arising out of unexplained wealth provisions in the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (Cth) (led by Elizabeth Cheeseman SC and Robert Craig SC).
- Acting for health practitioner regulators in a number of disciplinary proceedings arising from the cluster of stillbirths and neonatal deaths that occurred at Djerriwarrh Health Service (led by Stephen O’Meara QC, with Ben Jellis).
Colette is also regularly briefed to advise government on questions of constitutional law and statutory construction.
Colette read with Kathleen Foley and her senior mentor is Wendy Harris QC.
From 3 May 2019, Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.