Adrian is an advocate practising in sports law, disciplinary tribunals and appeals, defamation, suppression orders, contempt, common law/personal injuries,
criminal and general commercial law. He brings to the Bar experience as a senior executive in major professional sport.
A former partner in the commercial litigation division of Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Adrian was General Manager of Football Operations of the AFL from
2004-2012 establishing the AFL’s integrity unit, tribunal system and heading negotiations such as the Collective Bargaining Agreement. At Corrs,
he was the principal media law advisor to the Herald Sun and 3AW. He also acted for the AFL Players’ Association, the Australian Cricketers’ Association,
Greyhound Racing Victoria, and professional athletes in disciplinary matters, anti-doping cases and contractual disputes.
Immediately prior to joining the Bar, Adrian:
- conducted an integrity review for Cricket Australia concerning the threats of match fixing and doping
- was appointed interim CEO of Cycling Australia by the Australian Sports Commission to implement governance and financial reform
- conducted a player welfare review on behalf of the NRL.
He has recently appeared in:
- Defamation proceedings in the Supreme Court and County Court
- Disciplinary tribunals and appeals in VCAT, the Racing Appeals Disciplinary Board, the Racing Appeals Tribunal NSW, and the AFL tribunal
- A rape trial in the County Court
- County Court negligence matters and serious injury applications
- General commercial and criminal law matters
- Court of Appeal matters.
He is a committee member of the Melbourne Cricket Club, the National Golf Club, Chairman of MyGolf (JV between Golf Australia and PGA Australia), a
Cricket Australia Conduct Commissioner and a Tribunal Member of the Victorian Amateur Football Association. He has the indictable crime certificate.
Recent matters in which Adrian has appeared include:
Sports and other disciplinary matters:
- Scott Dyer v HRV, VCAT, 8 October 2019
- HRV v Tormey and Douglas, RADB (Chair Judge Hicks), 24-25 September 2019, (tubing charge)
- Dooley v GRV  VCAT 1514 with Brendan Murphy QC (existence of 'special circumstances' under GRV Rules)
- Toby Greene v AFL, AFL Appeals Board (Chair Murray Kellam QC), 19 September 2019 , with Ross Gillies QC
- AFL v Toby Greene, AFL Tribunal hearings 9 and 17 September 2019
- AFLQ v Jason Burge, Tribunal 4 September 2019, and Appeal 10 September 2019
- WRFL v Deer Park FC, VFL Disciplinary Committee, 27 August 2019 (salary cap charges)
- Tabone v HRV, VCAT, 18 July 2019 (TCO2 presentation charge and challenge to testing procedures)
- Racing Victoria v Monica Croston, RADB (Chair Judge Bowman), 17 July 2019 (cobalt administration charge)
- RNSW v David Brideoake, Stewards' inquiry before Mr Van Gestel, decision published 18 June 2019
- HRV v Scott Dyer, RADB, 22 May 2019 (merits, corrupt conduct, and interference with test charges)
- GRV v Dooley, RADB, 29 January 2019
HRV v Jack, Pitt and Bartley  VCAT 1981 with Chris Winneke QC, and RADB 16 November 2018 (stay application
- Tardio v HRV, Cavanough J, VSC 722 and Judicial Registrar Clayton decision on stay application 20/11/18
- Cameron Fitzpatrick v HRNSW, Racing Appeals Tribunal NSW, 19 June 2018 with C Winneke QC (severity appeal)
- HRV v Eastman, RADB, 28 May 2018 (race fixing charges)
- Adrian Kenyon v GRV, RADB, 23 April 2018 (EPO administration charge)
- Russell Clarke v Racing Victoria  VCAT 747 (trainer licence application)
Chairman of the GRNSW Inquiry into the unauthorized export of greyhounds - Penalty decision for Michael Eberand (25/3/19), Decisions re Eberands,
Cortis, Lagogiane (9/1/19), Michael Abbott (20/9/18), Farrugias (23/10/17), Paul Wheeler (20/4/18), Yiwen Xi and Wei Shan (24/4/18), and Cauchis
- AFL Tribunal appearances for Essendon and GWS players
Joshua Henshaw v Basketball Victoria Incorporated, Magistrate McCallum, Case No. H13331912, 8 February 2018,(injunction
under Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic))
- Ben Thompson v Racing Victoria, RADB (Chair Judge Bowman), 20 December 2017 (reckless riding charge)
- QAFL Tribunal for Palm Beach Captain Jesse Derrick prior to QAFL grand final 2017
- Victorian Building Authority v Jim Tsaganas  VSCA 248 (with Chris Winneke QC)
- Cyan Racing v Rogers Engineering & Development Pty Ltd, SCV injunction application, J Forrest J, 10 January 2017
- Victorian Building Authority v Jim Tsaganas  VCAT 1732 (plea before Dyer J)
- HRV v Kilduff  VCAT 2068, Snr Member Butcher (testosterone administration charge)
- HRV v Vozlic  VCAT 485, Vice President, Hampel J, (breach of conditions of disqualification)
- HRV v Aiken (Snr Member Butcher, 26/4/17)
- Racing Victoria v O’Brien, Mark Kavanagh and Dr Brennan (Decisions of RADB of 23/12/15 and 20/1/16)
- Racing NSW v Sam Kavanagh, Dr Brennan and Dr Mathews (Racing Appeals Tribunal NSW decisions 6/5/16 and 17/6/16)
- Greyhound Racing Victoria v Jason Thompson (RADB 3/4/17 and GRV appeal to VCAT 6/9/17)
- Greyhound Racing Victoria v Braden Finn RADB decision 23/6/16 (cocaine presentation charge)
- Victorian Football Federation Tribunal on behalf of North Sunshine Eagles SC and Diellon Memishi (2015)
- Appeal against grand final disqualification on behalf of Melbourne East Basketball Association to Basketball Australia Appeals Tribunal (20/9/16)
- Appeal on behalf of James Lawton and Adam Cullen to AFL Riverina Appeal Tribunal 5/9/15.
Defamation/ suppression orders
- Janet Young v Steve Healy  VSC 546, Judicial Registrar Clayton, extension of time and default judgment applications
Appeared for Nationwide News Pty Ltd and the Age Company Pty Ltd before Bromberg J on 1/2/19 to oppose suppression application on behalf of the
AWU in AWU v Registered Organisations Commissioner and Ors
- Ptasznik v Australian Medical Association  VSC 275
- Appeared for ABC opposing application for blanket suppression order in DPP v Pell, Chief Judge Kidd, 24/5/18
- Stuart Johnston v Nicola Holland  VSC 597, John Dixon J, (with David Collins QC)
- Stuart Johnston v Nicola Holland  VSC 448, Derham AsJ
- Hanks v Johnston  VSC 570 and  VSC 149
- Johnston v Holland  VSC 340
- Nadinic v Nine Network Australia Pty Ltd (Supreme Court injunction application before Ginnane J, 13/5/15)
- Hanks v Johnston  VSC 629
- multiple other defamation proceedings issued in Supreme Court and County Court.
- DPP v Clinton Leahy (rape trial in County Court of Victoria concluding 21 May 2019)
- committal hearings, pleas, interlocutory matters.
Common law/personal injury
Beau Hart v Beaumaris Junior Football Club, South Metro Junior Football League, and Bayside City Council (with
Jeff Moore QC)
- Multiple serious injury applications and personal injury proceedings.
From 15 May 2015, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.