Areas of Practice
- Administrative Law
- Commercial Law
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law (Appellate)
- Equity and Trusts
- Regulatory and Competition Law
- Trade Practices
Sarah practises primarily in commercial and public law. Sarah also accepts briefs in appellate criminal law and some common law matters.
Before coming to the Bar, Sarah was an Associate to the Hon Justice Stephen Gageler AC at the High Court of Australia.
Sarah has also worked as a Trial Division Researcher at the Supreme Court of Victoria, and as a solicitor in the Dispute Resolution team of King &
Wood Mallesons. While at King & Wood Mallesons, Sarah gained particular experience in commercial, administrative law, regulatory and trade practices
Sarah has taught Trusts in the JD programme at Melbourne Law School, and has tutored subjects including Constitutional Law, Evidence, Torts and Contracts
at Monash Law School and at Queen's College, University of Melbourne.
Sarah holds undergraduate degrees in Arts and Law (with First Class Honours) from the University of Melbourne, and a Master of Laws from Harvard Law School.
As part of her Masters programme, Sarah completed the Harvard Negotiation Workshop.
Sarah is a reporter for the Commonwealth Law Reports. She has also published in Australian and US law journals.
Since coming to the Bar, Sarah has advised and appeared on behalf of corporations, government departments and individuals. Matters in which Sarah has been
- Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry (2018): Counsel Assisting, led by R Orr QC
and M Hodge QC, with A Dinelli, E Dias, M Costello, M Hosking, C Schneider and T Farhall
- Director, Consumer Affairs Victoria v The Reject Shop  FCA 211: for the respondent company, led by P Neskovcin QC
- Application for merger authorisation by Tabcorp Holdings  ACompT 1: for the ACCC, led by A McClelland QC, with K Anderson, P Thiagarajan
and I Cowen
- Proceedings alleging breaches of corporate disclosure obligations under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Federal Court of Australia, settled):
for shareholders of the company, led by R Merkel QC, with E Nekvapil
- Proceedings for the recovery of land (Supreme Court of Victoria, settled): for a local Council, led by R Orr QC, with R Knowles
- Proceedings alleging professional negligence against legal representatives (Supreme Court of Victoria): for a member of Counsel, led by D Collins QC,
and for a firm of solicitors, led by S Horgan QC
- Collett v A & E Konstantopoulos Nominees Pty Ltd (Owners Corporations)  VCAT 345: for the applicants, unled
- In the matter of questions referred to the Court of Disputed Returns pursuant to s 376 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (Cth) concerning the Hon Barnaby Joyce MP  HCA 45: for Mr Windsor, led by R Merkel QC and J Gleeson SC, with E Nekvapil
- Northern Territory v Griffiths; Commonwealth v Griffiths  FCAFC 106: for the native title party, led by S Glacken QC, with G Hill
- Chief Commissioner of Police v AMJK Pty Ltd  VSC 250: for the Chief Commissioner, led by P Hanks QC
- Proceedings under the Extradition Act 1988 (Cth): for the requested person, led by R Orr QC, C Harris QC and L De Ferrari SC (see, eg, United States v Ghodskani 
- Proceedings in the original jurisdiction of the High Court of Australia, the original and appellate jurisdictions of the Federal Court of Australia
and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth): both led and unled (see, eg, Mowatt v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 657 and CSV15 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 699)
- Representative proceedings alleging false imprisonment of detainees in immigration detention (Federal Court of Australia, ongoing): for the detainees,
led by B Walker SC and B Quinn QC, with M Albert and M Guo
- Advices on constitutional law, administrative law, statutory construction, the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic)
and other public law issues: led by R Niall QC (then Solicitor-General for Victoria), R Merkel QC, P Hanks QC and R Orr QC, and unled
Sarah read with Alistair Pound, and her senior mentor was Christopher Caleo QC.
From 27 Oct 2016, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page