Rebecca primarily practises in the areas of employment and industrial relations, anti-discrimination law and disciplinary proceedings; having come
to the Bar with some 10 years of experience in the field. Since coming to the Bar, Rebecca has also been briefed in superannuation and commercial
contract disputes, and crimes mental impairment matters.
Rebecca is recognised in Doyle's Guide to the Best Barristers in Victoria 2017 in the field of Employment and Work Health Safety; is a member of the Committee of the Industrial Bar Association; and is one of two representatives of counsel sitting on the Fair Work Commission Unfair Dismissal Users' Group.
Rebecca is regularly briefed to provide prospects and strategic advice to clients, and has represented clients in VCAT, the Fair Work Commission, Magistrates Court, County Court, Federal Circuit Court and Federal Court- at first instance and on appeal.
Along with her undergraduate Honours degree in Law, Rebecca holds a Bachelor of Science (Genetics and Microbiology, Monash, first class Honours average), and a Master of Laws (Melbourne, first class Honours average, recipient of prize for the top Labour Relations student).
Matters in which Rebecca has appeared since coming to the Bar include:
- Communications, Electrical, Electronic, Energy, Information, Postal, Plumbing and Allied Services Union of Australia v Australian Postal Corporation  FCA 1091 (successfully defended claims for breach of superannuation trust deed (defined benefit), breach of contract, estoppel, FW Act s.345 (misrepresentation about workplace rights), led by Jennifer Batrouney QC)
- Darren Lacey and Chris Kandelaars v Murrays Australia Pty Limited; Andrew Cullen FWC 3136 (successfully opposed application for bullying orders)
- Knight v Visionstream Australia Pty Limited  FCCA 980 (application to amend parties to a general protections claim dismissed where employer was not the entity named in the FWC certificate)
- Paul Baird v Airservices Australia FWC 1946 (successfully defended unfair dismissal claim - misconduct)
- Fair Work Ombudsman v Food Republic Pty Ltd  FCCA 263 (underpayments, record keeping breaches)
- Abdul Soomro v Murrays Australia Pty Limited T/A Murrays Australia  FWC 8211 (successfully defended unfair dismissal claim)
- Bendigo Health Care Group v Richard Logan  FWCFB 7190 (successfully defended appeal and successfully prosecuted unfair dismissal claim at first instance)
- United Firefighters' Union of Australia v Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board  FWCFB 2894 (dispute about matters pertaining, led by Melinda Richards SC)
- Lion Dairy and Drinks Milk Limited v Peter Norman  FWCFB 4218 (successful appeal)
- Peter Norman v Lion Dairy and Drinks Milk Limited FWC 840 (unfair dismissal - medical incapacity)
- Monochromatic Engineering Pty Ltd T/A MCE Lasers v Jahangir Farzady  FWCFB 1061 (successfully defended permission to appeal application)
- Automotive, Food, Metals, Engineering, Printing and Kindred Industries Union v CBI Constructors Pty Ltd  FWC 7460 (dispute about shift work allowances, led by Richard Dalton)
- Jahangir Farzady v Monochromatic Engineering Pty Ltd T/A MCE Lasers  FWC 7216 (unfair dismissal, compensation cap awarded (6 months))
- Virata v NSW Motel Management Services Pty Ltd  FWC 7932 (unfair dismissal, compensation cap awarded (6 months))
Rebecca read with Richard Dalton and her senior mentor was Richard Niall QC.
From 1st May 2015, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003