Colette practises primarily in public and commercial law.
Before coming to the Bar, Colette served as Associate to Justice Edelman of the High Court of Australia.
Earlier, she practised as a solicitor at King & Wood Mallesons, predominantly in competition law, and served as Associate to Justice Katzmann of
the Federal Court of Australia.
Colette holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws, with first class honours, from Monash University and a Master of Laws from Columbia University,
which she attended on a scholarship and where she was named a James Kent Scholar.
Colette has served as a Fellow at Melbourne Law School, where she lectured in constitutional law. She has also published work in the Public Law Review.
Her recent matters include:
- Slea Pty Ltd v Connective Services Pty Ltd: acted for the plaintiffs in a 52-day commercial trial involving claims of oppression and breaches
of directors’ duties (led by Michael Hodge QC, with Kathleen Foley and Geoffrey Kozminsky) (reserved).
- Lees v Connective Services Pty Ltd  VSCA 143: acted for the successful respondents in appeal concerning the scope of the Court’s
power pursuant to s 241 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (led by Catherine Button QC, with Geoffrey Kozminsky).
- Celsius Fire Services Pty Ltd v Magistrates’ Court of Victoria  VSC 835: acted for the successful plaintiff in Supreme Court judicial
review proceedings arising out of a prosecution under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic) (led by Anthony Strahan QC).
- IPO Wealth Pty Ltd v ASIC: acting for ASIC in Federal Court proceeding brought by the applicant, seeking to restrain ASIC from issuing
a warning notice under s 12GLC of the ASIC Act 2001 (Cth) (led by Richard Knowles SC) (ongoing).
- Thexton v Mialls Gun Shop: acted for defendants in Supreme Court personal injury proceeding, including claims of negligence and breaches
of trade practices legislation (led by Richard Attiwill QC) (resolved).
- WOTCH v VicForests: acting for the plaintiff in Supreme Court proceeding concerning legality of certain logging activities following the
2019/2020 bushfires (led by Kathleen Foley, with Julia Watson) (ongoing). See WOTCH v VicForests (No 2)  VSC 99 and WOTCH v VicForests (No 3)  VSC 220.
- Acting for health practitioner regulators in a number of disciplinary proceedings arising from the cluster of stillbirths and neonatal deaths that
occurred at Djerriwarrh Health Services (led by Stephen O’Meara QC, with Ben Jellis) (ongoing).
Colette is also regularly briefed to advise government on questions of constitutional law and statutory construction.
Colette read with Kathleen Foley and her senior mentor is Wendy Harris QC.
From 3 May 2019, Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003