Areas of practice
- Commercial Law
- Common Law
- Public Law & Administrative Law
- Employment & Industrial Relations Law
- Taxation & Revenue
- Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Rowan has a broad practice in public, commercial, common and industrial law.
Before coming to the Bar, Rowan served as Counsel Assisting the Commonwealth Solicitor-General, Dr Stephen Donaguhe QC, and as Associate to the Hon Justice
Virginia Bell AC of the High Court of Australia. He also practised as a commercial solicitor at King & Wood Mallesons and as a senior solicitor
in the constitutional and administrative law team at the NSW Crown Solicitor's Office.
Rowan holds degrees in Arts and Law from the University of Melbourne, which he attended as a Commonwealth Scholar, and a Bachelor of Civil Law from the
University of Oxford, where he studied as an Allan Myers QC Scholar.
Rowan has served as a Fellow of the Melbourne Law School, Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal and Associate Editor of the
Melbourne University Law Review. He has published work in the Australian Journal of Labour Law and is a member of the Australian
Association of Constitutional Law and the Australian Institute of Administrative Law.
Rowan read with Kathleen Foley and his senior mentor is Philip Solomon QC.
Cases in which Rowan has been briefed to appear include:
- Von Schoeler v Allen Taylor & Co Ltd (t/a Boral Timber) (No 2)  FCAFC 13 (with J Tracey, for the appellant)
- Vella v Chief Commissioner of Police (NSW) (2019) 374 ALR 1;  HCA 38 (led by K Walker QC, for the Victorian Attorney-General,
- Minogue v Victoria (2019) 372 ALR 623;  HCA 31 (led by C Horan QC, with A Solomon-Bridge, for the plaintiff)
- Medical Board of Australia v Leow  VSC 532 (led by P Solomon QC, with S Cash, for the respondent)
- DOU16 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCAFC 212 (unled, for the first respondent)
- Comptroller-General of Customs v Zappia (2018) 361 ALR 194;  HCA 54 (led by S Donaghue QC, with D Thomas, for the appellant)
- Commissioner of Taxation v Thomas (2018) 264 CLR 382;  HCA 31 (led by S Donaghue QC, with K Foley, for the Commonwealth Attorney-General,
- Oxanda Childcare Pty Ltd v MAAG Developments Pty Ltd, M118/2018, HCASL (led by J Gleeson SC, with K Foley for the applicant)
- Fauna and Flora Research Collective Inc v Secretary, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, VSC (Keogh J), judgment
reserved (led by P Gray QC, with K Foley, for the plaintiff)
Cases in which Rowan was involved as Counsel Assisting the Commonwealth Solicitor-General include:
- Zheng v Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police  SASCFC 157 (S Donaghue QC, L Cheeseman SC, D O’Leary for the defendant)
- Strickland (a psuedonym) v DPP (Cth) (2018) 93 ALJR 1;  HCA 53 (S Donaghue QC, S Maharaj QC, G Hill for the Australian Criminal
Intelligence Commission, second respondent)
- Plaintiff M174/2016 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (2018) 264 CLR 217;  HCA 16 (S Donaghue QC, N Wood for
the first defendant)
- Alley v Gillespie (2018) 264 CLR 328;  HCA 11 (S Donaghue QC, C Lenehan, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
- Re Gallagher (2018) 263 CLR 460;  HCA 17 (S Donaghue QC, P Herzfeld, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
- Re Kakoschke-Moore (2018) 263 CLR 640;  HCA 10 (S Donaghue QC, Z Maud, M Costello, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General,
- Re Canavan (2017) 263 CLR 284;  HCA 45 (S Donaghue QC, P Herzfeld, M Costello, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General,
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003