Areas of practice
- Commercial Law
- Common Law
- Public Law & Administrative Law
- Employment & Industrial Relations Law
- Taxation & Revenue
- Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Rowan has a broad practice in public, commercial, common and industrial law.
Before coming to the Bar, Rowan served as Counsel Assisting the Commonwealth Solicitor-General, Dr Stephen Donaguhe QC, and as Associate to the Hon Justice
Virginia Bell AC of the High Court of Australia. He also practised as a commercial solicitor at King & Wood Mallesons and as a senior solicitor
in the constitutional and administrative law team at the NSW Crown Solicitor's Office.
Rowan holds degrees in Arts and Law from the University of Melbourne, which he attended as a Commonwealth Scholar, and a Bachelor of Civil Law from the
University of Oxford, where he studied as an Allan Myers QC Scholar.
Rowan has served as a Fellow of the Melbourne Law School, Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal and Associate Editor of the
Melbourne University Law Review. He has published work in the Australian Journal of Labour Law and is a member of the Australian
Association of Constitutional Law and the Australian Institute of Administrative Law.
Rowan read with Kathleen Foley and his senior mentor is Philip Solomon QC.
Cases in which Rowan has been briefed to appear include:
- Comptroller-General of Customs v Zappia (2018) 92 ALJR 1053;  HCA 54 (led by S Donaghue QC, with D Thomas, for the appellant)
- Commissioner of Taxation v Thomas (2018) 357 ALR 445;  HCA 31 (led by S Donaghue QC, with K Foley, for the Commonwealth Attorney-General,
- Minogue v Victoria, M162/2018, HCA, judgment reserved (led by C Horan QC, with A Solomon-Bridge, for the plaintiff)
- Oxanda Childcare Pty Ltd v MAAG Developments Pty Ltd, M118/2018, HCASL (led by J Gleeson SC, with K Foley for the applicant)
- Fauna and Flora Research Collective Inc v Secretary, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, VSC (Keogh J), judgment reserved
(led by P Gray QC, with K Foley, for the plaintiff)
- BZW16 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 395 (unled, for the first respondent)
Cases in which Rowan was involved as Counsel Assisting the Commonwealth Solicitor-General include:
- Zheng v Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police SASCFC No 357/2018, judgment reserved (S Donaghue QC, L Cheeseman SC, D O’Leary
for the defendant)
- Strickland (a psuedonym) v DPP (Cth) (2018) 93 ALJR 1;  HCA 53 (S Donaghue QC, S Maharaj QC, G Hill for the Australian Criminal Intelligence
Commission, second respondent)
- Plaintiff M174/2016 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (2018) 353 ALR 600;  HCA 16 (S Donaghue QC, N Wood for the
- Alley v Gillespie (2018) 353 ALR 1 (S Donaghue QC, C Lenehan, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
- Re Gallagher (2018) 355 ALR 1 (S Donaghue QC, P Herzfeld, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
- Re Kakoschke-Moore (2018) 352 ALR 579 (S Donaghue QC, Z Maud, M Costello, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
- Re Canavan (2017) 91 ALJR 1209 (S Donaghue QC, P Herzfeld, M Costello, J Watson for the Commonwealth Attorney-General, intervening)
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003