Justin has a broad commercial practice, incorporating general corporate and commercial law, insolvency, insurance, class actions and building and construction.
Current and recent matters in which Justin has been led by Senior Counsel include:
- Laguna Bay Pastoral Company Pty Ltd v Schroder Adveq and other: acting for a trustee of an investment trust with respect to a dispute
with unitholders concerning the construction and rectification of a trust deed (led by Robert Craig SC, instructed by Corrs Chambers Westgarth).
- Acting for five reinsurers with respect to a dispute with a captive insurer in relation to liability arising from multiple class action proceedings
in the United States (led by Richard Attiwill QC, instructed by Kennedys).
- In the Matter of LGL Commodities Pty Ltd (In Liquidation): acting for the liquidators of LGL Commodities Pty Ltd in relation to insolvent
trading claims made against former directors (led by Robert Craig SC, instructed by Gadens).
- Zacole Pty Ltd v Longboat Holdings GroupNo3 Pty Ltd: application to stay a Supreme Court proceeding by reason of an arbitration agreement
(led by Robert Craig SC, instructed by Hall & Wilcox)
- In the matter of Synstrat Accountng Pty Ltd: acted for a minority shareholder in an oppression proceeding (led by Ian Upjohn QC, instructed
by Webb Korfiatis Commercial)
- In the Matter of Gunn Freight Pty Ltd:acted for a minority shareholder in an oppression proceeding (led by Robert Craig SC, instructed
by Holding Redlich).
Current and recent matters in which Justin has acted unled include:
- Platinum Construction (Vic) Pty Ltd v Straightline Contractors Pty Ltd: acted for a subcontractor in a 4 day hearing in VCAT in relation
to a dispute with a builder as to liquidated damages payable for delays (instructed by HFW Australia).
- Hai Hai Supplies Pty Ltd v Lieu Banh & Anor: acting for borrowers in a dispute with a lender in the County Court with respect to the
construction of a loan agreement (instructed by SBA Law).
- Brazilian Butterfly Pty Ltd v Jessica Louise Warr: acting for a franchisee in a dispute with a franchisor in the County Court in relation
to alleged debts owing under a franchise agreement, loan agreement and licence agreement (instructed by Gadens)
- Jender Pty Ltd v Flood Emergency Services Group Pty Ltd: acting for a company seeking judicial review in the Supreme Court of a Magistrates’
Court decision (instructed by Wisewould Mahony).
- Muscatello v Agoda International Pte Ltd: acting for Agoda International in relation to a dispute in VCAT over a debt in relation to the
provision of online property advertisement services (instructed by Bird & Bird).
Before coming to the bar, Justin was a Senior Lawyer at Clayton Utz. During his time at Clayton Utz, Justin represented clients in a variety of commercial
disputes, including large product liability class actions. He also represented Commonwealth government departments in a number of judicial review
proceedings, which involved solicitor advocacy at substantive hearings and appeals.
Earlier, Justin was Associate to Justice Hammerschlag, head of the Commercial List of the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
Justin holds a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws, with first class honours, from Monash University.
From 25 October 2019, Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003