From 2009 until June 2013, Kateena practised primarily at the Queensland Bar.
Areas of Practice
Kateena has experience in the following areas:
- Commercial litigation concerning contracts, trusts and joint ventures.
- Litigation concerning corporate regulation.
- Shareholder litigation.
- Products liability litigation.
- As Lecturer in Corporate Law at Queen Mary, the University of London, Kateena delivered by invitation papers in corporate law at the Stanford/Yale
Junior Faculty Forum (Stanford Law School, May 2009) and at the Third Biennial Public Lecture (Centre for Law and Business, Lagos, Nigeria,
- Advice and litigation concerning Federal and State tax law.
- General administrative litigation in courts and tribunals.
- Judicial review proceedings including review of decisions from the Refugee Review Tribunal.
- Junior counsel for the Commonwealth of Australia before the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry (2011-2012).
- Applications concerning legal professional privilege and other evidential issues.
Some Recent Cases
- Proceedings against the Office of State Revenue, Queensland concerning payroll tax (led by Jennifer Batrouney QC).
- Proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland concerning allegations of negligence and breaches of the ASIC Act and Corporations Act in the
provision of financial services.
- Canehire Pty Ltd & Anor v Themis Holdings Pty Ltd  QCA 296 and Themis Holdings Pty Ltd v Canehire Pty Ltd 
QSC 38: proceedings concerning allegations of breach of trust and misuse of trust property (led by Michael Stewart QC).
- An application concerning Harman obligations (led by Mark Moshinsky QC).
- Acting on behalf of the class of home insulation businesses before the Royal Commission into the Home Insulation Program (led by Michael Windsor
- BA, LLB (Hons) (University of Queensland), BCL (Oxford)
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Rupert Cross Prize in Evidence (Oxford)
- University of Queensland Medal (Law)
- Summer Programme in International Human Rights Law, (University of Oxford and George Washington University Law School)
- Tutor in Tax Law, University of Queensland (2002)
- Associate to the Honourable Justice Michael McHugh AC, High Court of Australia (2005)
- Lecturer in Corporate Law, Queen Mary, University of London (2008 - 2009)
- Member of the Research Panel, Matrix Chambers, London (2003 - 2009)
From 27 Mar 2014, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003