Areas of Practice
- Banking and Finance
- Building Law
- Corporate Insolvency
- Equity/Equitable Relief/Trusts
- Trade Practices
Ben specialises in commercial law and appears in trial and appellate courts in all jurisdictions in Australia.
Cases in which Ben has appeared include:
- In the matter of Ainslie Harding & Wood Solicitors Pty Ltd (in liq) & Ors VID282/2018 (with K Brazenor)
- Mandie v Memart Nominees Pty Ltd  VSC 719 (with C. Caleo QC)
- Bryant (Liquidator) v LV Dohnt & Co Pty Ltd, In the matter of Gunns Ltd  FCA 238 (with M Hoffmann QC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Rennie Produce (Aust) Pty Ltd (in liq)  FCAFC 38 (with L Glick QC)
- Trust Co (Nominees) Ltd v Angas Securities Ltd  FCAFC 187 (with A Myers QC)
- De Lutis v De Lutis  VSC 505 (with P Bick QC);
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v A&S Services Australia Pty Ltd  FCA 663 (alone);
- Re Rennie Produce (Aust) Pty Ltd (in liq)  FCA 442; (2016) 338 ALR 451;  FCA 449 (alone)
- North East Solution Pty Ltd v Masters Home Improvement Australia Pty Ltd  VSCA 113;  VSCA 88;  VSC 1;  VSC 87 (with
P Bick QC)
- Re GUNNS Limited (in liq)  VSC 765;  VSC 832 (with M Hoffman QC)
- Trust Company (Nominees) Limited, in the matter of Angas Securities Limited  FCA 895 (with A Myers QC and M Hoffman QC)
- Nom De Plume Nominees v Fingal Developments Pty Ltd (2016) 114 ACSR 539 and  VSCA 233 (B Walker SC)
- TSG Franchise Management Pty Ltd v Cigarette & Gift Warehouse (Franchising) Pty Ltd  FCA 828;  FCA 674;  FCA 739 (with
M Robins QC)
- Re Yeo (in their capacity as liquidators of Rennie Produce (Aust) Pty Ltd (in liq)  FCA 849 (with L Glick QC)
- Ascot Vale Self Storage Centre Pty Ltd v Nom De Plume Nominees Pty Ltd  VSC 751(with P Bick QC)
- Nom De Plume Pty Ltd v Fingal Developments Pty Ltd  VSCA 129 (with P Bick QC)
- Re Ascot Vale Self-Storage Centre Pty Ltd (in liq) (2014) 98 ACSR 243 (VSCA) (with P Bick QC)
- Fingal Developments Pty Ltd v Nom De Plume Nominees Pty Ltd  VSC 146;  VSC 44 (with P Bick QC)
- Rilgar Nominees Pty Ltd v BHA Holdings Pty Ltd  VSC 6; (2014) 103 ACSR 370 (alone)
- Kilkenny Walsh Pty Ltd v Strasburger Enterprises (Properties) Pty Ltd  VSC 117 (with S Horgan QC)
- Playcorp Pty Ltd v Lineville Pty Ltd (subject to deed of company arrangement) t/as Robins Kitchens  FCA 224 (alone)
- Re Ascot Vale Self-Storage Centre Pty Ltd (in liq) (2014) 98 ACSR 243 (with P Bick QC)
- Weeden v Rambaldi (2013) 92 ACSR 661 (FCAFC) (P Collinson QC)
- Ascot Vale Self Storage Centre Pty Ltd v Wallace Smith  VSC 519 (with P Bick QC)
- Perpetual Nominees Limited v Rytelle Pty Ltd  VSC 9;  VSC 440 (with P Bick QC)
- Oliver Hume Apartments (Vic) Pty Ltd v Troy Barkly Nominees Property Group Pty Ltd  VCC 398 (alone)
- ACN 115 918 959 v Terracomm2 Pty Ltd  VCAT 544 (alone)
- Weeden v Rambaldi (2012) 290 ALR 312 (FCA);  FCA 647 (with J Peters QC)
- Szanitop Homes Pty Ltd v Krok (2012) 36 VR 56 (with R Merkel QC)
- Gotha Investments Pty Ltd v Westons Property (Vic) Pty Ltd  VCC 1161 (with P Bick QC)
- Environinvest Ltd v HLB Mann Judd (Vic Partnership)  FCA 1307 (with M Hoffmann QC)
- Jervois Mining Limited v EMC Metals Group S CI 2012 03571 (with M Hoffmann QC)
- Peachbulk Pty Ltd v R T Edgar Pty Ltd  VCC 39;  VCC 1465;  VCC 1370 (with P Bick QC)
- Noce v Building Practitioners Board  VSC 350 (alone)
- Fluor Australia Pty Ltd and Victorian Workcover Authority SC1 2606 of 2011 (with R Gorton QC)
- In the matter of Rennie Produce (Aust) Pty Ltd (in liquidation) (FCA) VID 1116 of 2010 (with L Glick QC)
- Ambridge Investments Pty Ltd (in liq) (rec apptd) v Baker  VSC 59;  VSC 234;  VSC 282 (with P Bick QC, E.W Alstergen QC)
- N and J Rogers Pty Ltd trading as Performance Pools v Rippingale  VCAT 1899 (alone)
- Allison v BDO (NSW-Vic) Pty Ltd SCI 2009, 10625 and BDO Group Investments (NSW-VIC) Pty Ltd v Ngo SCI 1192 of 2010 (with L Glick
- Biota Scientific Management Pty Ltd v Glaxo Group Ltd (2008) VSC 110 (S Anderson QC and others).
Before coming to the Bar Ben practiced as a management consultant at Andersen Consulting (now Accenture), as a solicitor in the Competition and Consumer
Protection Group at Blake Dawson Waldron (now Ashurst) and then as Associate to (then) Justice Finkelstein at the Federal Court of Australia. Ben was
called to the Bar in 2007. He read with Stephen McLeish SC (now the Honourable Justice McLeish of the Court of Appeal).
Ben has a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Melbourne where he was awarded the Dean's Award (Stage 2) for the student placed first in his class
over the final 12 subjects of the course, the Hall and Wilcox Prize for Taxation, the Blake Dawson Waldron Prize for Trusts and the subject prize for
Evidence. Ben also holds a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree in Economics.
'Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.'
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003