Sergio Freire practises in corporate and commercial law.
He has particular experience in banking and finance, corporations, insolvency, equity and trusts, property, energy and resources, and legal costs.
- Volunteer Fire Brigades Vic Inc v CFA (No. 2)  VSC 613 (with J Davis QC);
- for Apache in the Burrup Fertilisers/Oswal litigation (settled at trial) (e.g.  VSC 386,
 VSC 282,  VSC 134,
 VSC 119;  VSC 52;  FCA 49and  VSC 209 (with S Anderson QC));
- a commercial arbitration arising out of a PPP dispute involving the State of Victoria, before the Hon A Goldberg AO QC and the Hon K Hayne AC QC
(with P Collinson QC);
- Mandie & Anor v Memart Nominees Pty Ltd VSC 446 (with A Myers QC);  VSCA 181, and (2014) 42 VR 325;  VSC 290 (with C Scerri QC) (discretionary trust dispute);
- Androvitsaneas v Tartaglia & Associates  VSC 361 and Tomasevic v Nowicki Carbone  VSC 302 (applications under the Legal Profession Act 2004 (Vic));
- JZ Lee Interiors Pty Ltd v Smith (e.g. VSCA 203 and  VSC 693 (with I Upjohn QC));
- Lang v The Leasing Centre (Aust) Pty Ltd & Anor VCC 910 (enforceability of personal guarantees);
- Bond v Rees Group FCA 430 and Baycorp Collections PDL (Australia) Pty Ltd v Greer  FCCA 1437 (bankruptcy);
- PMCD Investments Pty Ltd v Galatis & Anor  VSC 55 (application
to set aside statutory demand);
- Fogerty-Young v Jason  VSC 570(application to restrain solicitor
from continuing to act);
- True Value Solar Holdings Pty Ltd v Fernandez  VSCA 27(grant
of leave to commence derivative proceeding) (with P Collinson SC);
- Chye v Australian Securities and Investments Commission  FCA 1405 (application by disqualified director for leave to manage a corporation) (with S Anderson SC); and
- Corporations Act and Bankruptcy Act matters including oppression proceedings, applicationsto set aside statutory demands, contested
winding-up applications, applications to reinstate deregistered companies, voidable preference claims, applications in respect of insolvency
practitioners’ remuneration, applications for liquidators’ search and seizure warrants, applications to set aside bankruptcy notices, contested
creditor’s petitions, and compulsory examinations.
Before joining the bar, Sergio practised as a commercial litigation solicitor for over 12 years. He was a senior associate at Ashurst Australia, where
he worked for 10 years. He commenced his career at Allens in Brisbane.
Sergio holds degrees in law (Hons Class I) and commerce from the University of Queensland. He has also completed the Insolvency Education Program administered
by the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association.
From 25th Oct 2012, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003