Sergio Freire practises in commercial law, principally in the areas of banking and finance, corporations, securities, insolvency, equity and trusts,
He also advises insolvency practitioners, creditors, directors and government on all aspects of insolvency, including under the Corporations Act,
the Personal Property Securities Act and the Bankruptcy Act.
The following is a selection of cases in which Sergio has appeared:
- Fuji Xerox Australia Pty Ltd v Whittaker & ors (Federal Court) (director and auditor negligence claim) (with J Davis QC);
- Argyle Building Services Pty Ltd v Franek  VSC 166 (and Court of Appeal) (freezing orders) (with A Herskope);
- Gothard (administrator), in the matter of Jeanswest Corporation Pty Ltd  FCA 148 (voluntary administration);
- Slea Pty Ltd v Connective Services Pty Ltd & ors (Supreme Court of Victoria; trial - October 2019-March 2020) (oppression) (with P Solomon
QC and D Guidolin);
- Groom v Leafbusters Pty Ltd (in liq) (Supreme Court of Victoria; trial - February-March 2020) (property);
- Clementi v Rossi  VSC 725 (trust dispute) (with S Stuckey QC);
- Ji v Bluestars Real Estate Pty Ltd  VSC 11 (property) (with
R Garratt QC) (settled after trial);
- for a third party in the Auswild/Preston Motors Group litigation in the Supreme Court of Victoria;
- Pell Five Pty Ltd v SMTP Nominees Pty Ltd  VCAT 1683 (retail
- Connelly v Commonwealth of Australia; in the matter of Australian Road Express Pty Ltd (recrs and mgrs apptd) (in liq)  FCA 1429 (with J Moore QC);
- Southern Cross Computer Systems Pty Ltd v Palmer  VSC 460 and
 VSC 412 (restraint of trade) (with A Herskope);
- Tannous & Anor v Abdo  VCC 304 (equitable charge);
- Volunteer Fire Brigades Vic Inc v CFA  VSC 621 and (2016) 50 VR
620  VSC 613 (with J Davis QC);
- for Apache in the Burrup Fertilisers/Oswal litigation (settled at trial) (e.g.  VSC 386,
 VSC 282,  VSC 134,  VSC 119;
 VSC 52;  FCA 49 and  VSC 209) (with S Anderson QC);
- a commercial arbitration arising out of a PPP dispute involving the State of Victoria, before the Hon A Goldberg AO QC and the Hon K Hayne
AC QC (with P Collinson QC);
- Mandie & Anor v Memart Nominees Pty Ltd  VSC 446 (with A Myers QC);  VSCA 181, and (2014) 42 VR 325;  VSC 290 (with C Scerri QC) (discretionary trust dispute);
- True Value Solar Holdings Pty Ltd v Fernandez  VSCA 27 (grant
of leave to commence derivative proceeding) (with P Collinson SC).
Before joining the bar, Sergio practised as a commercial litigation solicitor for over 12 years, at Ashurst Australia in Melbourne and, before
that, at Allens in Brisbane.
Sergio holds degrees in law (Hons Class I) and commerce from the University of Queensland. He has also completed the Insolvency Education Program
administered by the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association.
From 25th Oct 2012, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.