Georgie Coleman practises mainly in commercial, regulatory and administrative law. Before coming to the Bar, Georgie was a senior associate at
Minter Ellison with a general commercial litigation practice. She acted for banks, insolvency practitioners and landlords in disputes arising
from the collapses of Opes Prime Stockbroking, ABC Learning Centres and various managed investment schemes. She also acted for government clients
while at Minter Ellison, including two secondments to a State government department as Senior Legal Counsel. She was the associate to Justice
Dodds-Streeton at the Federal Court of Australia in 2010-11.
Matters since coming to the Bar include:
- Guy v Crown Melbourne Limited  FCA 36 (misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct) – led by Neil Young QC and Nick Hopkins QC;
- ZooSkyMedia Pty Ltd & ors v Australia Zoo Productions Pty Ltd (VSC 2017; breach of joint venture agreement; settled at trial)
– led by Jeff Gleeson QC;
- Acting for Harwood Andrews in the class action and other proceedings arising from the collapse of Banksia Securities Limited (in liq) (VSC
2017; professional negligence; settled) – led by Paul Santamaria QC;
- various ASIC investigations – unled, as well as led respectively by Neil Clelland QC and by Philip Crutchfield QC;
- Bullhead Pty Ltd v Brickmakers Place Pty Ltd (in liq) & ors  VSC 206 (breach
of trust, accessorial liability) – led by Will Houghton QC;
- McEvoy, in the matter of Careers Australia Group Limited (admin appt)  FCA 598 (Corporations Act s 447A application);
- Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption – led by Alan Archibald QC and Philip Crutchfield QC;
- Statutory interpretation advice with then Solicitor-General of Victoria, Richard Niall QC;
- Sports law matters, including as a tribunal member and as Counsel Assisting the tribunal, for Wrestling Australia and Australian Football League;
- Rabobank Australia Ltd & ors v Littore & ors (VSC 2016; breach of securities; settled during trial) – led by Nick Hopkins
QC, with Mark Costello;
- Innovateq Australia Pty Ltd & anor v Barnes & ors  VSC 618 (summary judgment);
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Coles Supermarkets Pty Ltd (unconscionable conduct; see penalty hearing:  FCA 1405)
– led by Norman O’Bryan SC, Rowena Orr QC and Michael Hodge;
- Lloyd's Syndicate 4040 v Tasman Group & ors (VSC; fraudulent non-disclosure by insured; settled during trial) – led by Jim Peters
- United Airport Parking Pty Ltd v TMA Tech Pty Ltd  VSC 343 (injunction, contractual dispute) – led by Stewart Anderson QC.
Georgie is a director of the Victorian Bar Foundation Limited, the Bar's charitable trust.
She has a LLM from Melbourne University and her paper on set-off was published in the Banking and Finance Law Review.
From 01 May 2014, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003