Daniel practices primarily in commercial litigation, including corporations and securities, equity and trusts, building and construction, insurance,
professional negligence, consumer protection and trade practices.
Daniel holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) from Monash University and a Master of Laws from the University of Melbourne.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Daniel worked as a commercial litigation lawyer at Arnold Bloch Leibler in Melbourne.
Matters in which he has been briefed include:
Commercial and Corporations Law
- CSR Building Products Pty Ltd v Dematic Pty Ltd & Anor: briefed on behalf of the plaintiff in a contract dispute in relation
to the delivery and performance of automated guided vehicles and a warehouse management system at CSR's Springvale and Yarraville factories
(led by Frank Hicks SC).
- Moriatis & Anor v Sam Wood & Ors: briefed on behalf of the plaintiffs in relation to a dispute over ownership of an online
health and fitness business, 28 by Sam Wood (led by Greg Harris QC).
- Finance & Guarantee Company Pty Ltd & Ors v Auswild & Ors: briefed on behalf of the plaintiffs in relation to a large
dispute relating to alleged breaches of trust and directors duties over several years in relation to the Preston Motors Group of companies
(led by David Collins QC, with Justin Tomlinson).
- De Lutis v De Lutis: briefed on behalf of the defendant (Colin De Lutis) in relation to oppression proceedings and claims in respect of
a demerger agreement in respect of the $500 million De Group of companies (led by Allan Myers QC, with Justin Tomlinson).
- Key Infrastructure Australia Pty Ltd v Bensons Property Group Pty Ltd: briefed on behalf of the plaintiff in relation to proceedings
for breach of a development management agreement relating to the development of property in Port Melbourne (led by Allan Myers QC).
- Leone v Turi Foods Pty Ltd & Anor: acted on behalf of the defendants in proceedings alleging, inter alia, breach of
contract, estoppel, unjust enrichment and misleading and deceptive conduct in relation to the defendant’s employment by the plaintiff (led
by Tim North QC).
- Armstrong Strategic Management and Marketing Pty Ltd v Expense Reduction Analysts Group Pty Ltd: appeared on behalf of the plaintiffs
(the Armstrong parties) in proceedings in respect of alleged false and misleading conduct, unconscionable conduct and breach of contract in
respect of the establishment and management of a global insurance expense reduction business, including interlocutory applications in respect
of security for costs and related applications (led by Will Alstergren QC).
- Len Group Holdings Pty Ltd & Anor v The Cheesecake Shop Pty Ltd & Anor: acted for the plaintiff (franchisee) in respect of
a dispute with The Cheesecake Shop Pty Ltd (the franchisor) in respect of the sale of business and allegations of breach of the franchise agreement
- Statewide Secured Investments Pty Ltd v Hillington Valley Pty Ltd: appeared for a defendant in an application for summary judgment
- Perricoota Boat Club Investments Pty Ltd v Watson: appeared on behalf of the plaintiff (Perricoota Boat Club Investments) in
proceedings concerning a contractual dispute in respect of the sale and development of land (led by Will Alstergren QC).
- Briese v Allianz: briefed on behalf of the defendant in relation to a claim by an insured under a contract of insurance (led by Phillip
Solomon QC, and then Jeremy Twigg QC).
Building and Construction
- Central Pier (Docklands) Pty Ltd & Anor v Schiavello (Vic) Pty Ltd & Ors: briefed on behalf of the plaintiffs in relation
to a claim in relation to alleged breaches of contract and duty of care by the defendants resulting in a fire at the Woolshed Pub in Melbourne
(led by Peter Murdoch QC).
- Kirra Beachfront Investments Pty Ltd (in liq) v Omiros One Architecture Pty Ltd: Daniel acted for the defendant in unfair preference
proceedings commenced by the liquidator of Kira Beachfront Investments Pty Ltd (unled).
Trusts and equity
- BBHF Pty Ltd v Compare Forex Brothers Pty Ltd: briefed on behlaf of the defendants in relation to alleged breaches of trust and directors'
duties in respect of an online foreign exchange business (led by Hamish Austin QC).
- Ying Mui Pty Ltd v Frank Kiang Ngan Hoh & Ors: acted for the defendants in proceedings for breach of trust in respect of discretionary
trusts owning substantial property assets in Victoria (led by Peter Bick QC, with Cam Truong).
- Land & Anor v Prideland Equity Pty Ltd: acted for the defendants in proceedings for breach of trust in respect of a discretionary
family trust (led by Jeremy Twigg QC, and later with Peter Lithgow).
- Almas Almonds Pty Ltd v Northwest Irrigation Systems Pty Ltd & Ors: acted on behalf of a defendant (and plaintiff by cross claim)
in proceedings brought by Almas Almonds in relation to the alleged negligence supply and installation of a commercial irrigation system (led
by Richard Attiwill QC).
- Austech Wire & Cable Pty Ltd v Primaplas Pty Ltd: acted for the defendant in proceedings in relation to the alleged negligent
or faulty supply by Primaplas to Austech of high-density polyethylene (led by Richard Attiwill QC and later Jeremy Twigg QC).
- Lend Lease Infrastructure Services Pty Ltd v Whitehorse Trucks Pty Ltd & Anor: appeared on behalf of the plaintiff (Lend Lease)
in proceedings concerning a claim in negligence for pure economic loss (led by Will Alstergren QC).
- King v Douglas Partners Pty Ltd: briefed in proceedings regarding claims for loss (including pure economic loss) arising out of alleged
misleading and deceptive conduct and negligence in respect of the provision of environmental reporting services by the defendant, and appeared
for the defendant in an interlocutory application in respect of several subpoenas issued by the defendants (unled).
- Briefed to advise the Australian Southern Bluefin Tuna Industry Association Ltd in relation to proposed government action to make changes to Statutory
Fishing Rights (SFRs) under the Fisheries Management Act 1991 (Cth) (led by Allan Myers QC).
From 24 Oct 2013, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.
Back to List | Print Page
Join Dever's List
Are you interested in joining our list?
Subscribe to CPD Session Announcements.
McPhee Mediation Centre
Excellent facilities in a bright and roomy environment. The McPhee Mediation Centre has been designed to create an environment conducive to obtaining successful
mediation results. Its configuration allows you to bring parties together for mediation and then separate them from private consultation as required.
Phone: 9670 4003