Adrian is an advocate practising sports law, disciplinary tribunals and appeals, defamation, suppression orders, contempt, common law/personal injuries,
criminal and general commercial law. He brings to the Bar extensive experience as a senior executive in major professional sport.
A former partner in the commercial litigation division of Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Adrian was General Manager of Football Operations of the AFL from
2004-2012 establishing the AFL’s integrity unit, tribunal system and heading negotiations such as the Collective Bargaining Agreement. At Corrs,
he was the principal media law advisor to the Herald Sun and 3AW. He also acted for the AFL Players’ Association, the Australian Cricketers’ Association,
Greyhound Racing Victoria, and professional athletes in disciplinary matters, anti-doping cases, contractual disputes and criminal matters.
Immediately prior to the Bar, Adrian:
- conducted an integrity review for Cricket Australia concerning the threats of match fixing and doping
- was appointed interim CEO of Cycling Australia by the Australian Sports Commission to implement governance and financial reform
- conducted a player welfare review on behalf of the NRL
He has recently appeared in:
- Defamation proceedings in the Supreme Court and County Court
- Disciplinary tribunals and appeals in VCAT, the Racing Appeals Disciplinary Board, the Racing Appeals Panel NSW, and the AFL and FFV tribunals
- County Court negligence matters and serious injury applications
- General commercial and criminal law matters
- Court of Appeal matters
He is a committee member of the Melbourne Cricket Club, the HRV integrity committee, the National Golf Club, Chairman of MyGolf (JV between Golf Australia
and PGA Australia) and a Tribunal Member of the Victorian Amateur Football Association. He has the indictable crime certificate.
Recent matters in which Adrian has appeared include:
Sports and other disciplinary matters:
- GRV v Dooley, RADB, 29/1/19.
- HRV v Jack, Pitt and Bartley (VCAT 14 December 2018 with Chris Winneke QC, and RADB 16 November 2018, resisting
- Tardio v HRV, Cavanough J, VSC 722 and Judicial Registrar Clayton decision on stay application 20/11/18.
- HRV v Eastman, RADB, 28/5/18 (race fixing charges).
- Adrian Kenyon v GRV, RADB, 23/4/18 (EPO administration charge).
- Russell Clarke v Racing Victoria  VCAT 747 (trainer licence application).
- Chairman of the GRNSW Inquiry into the unauthorized export of greyhounds. Decisions published re Eberands, Cortis, Lagogiane (9/1/19), Michael
Abbott (20/9/18), Farrugias (23/10/17), Paul Wheeler (20/4/18), Yiwen Xi and Wei Shan (24/4/18), and Cauchis (31/5/18).
- AFL Tribunal appearances for Essendon and GWS players.
- Joshua Henshaw v Basketball Victoria Incorporated, Magistrate McCallum, 8 February 2018 (injunction application
under Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic)).
- QAFL Tribunal for Palm Beach Captain Jesse Derrick prior to QAFL grand final 2017.
- Victorian Building Authority v Jim Tsaganas  VSCA 248 (with Chris Winneke QC).
- Victorian Building Authority v Jim Tsaganas  VCAT 1732 (plea before Dyer J).
- HRV v Kilduff VCAT 9-10/3/17 (testosterone administration charges).
- HRV v Vozlic (Deputy President, Hampel J, 23/3/17).
- HRV v Aiken (Snr Member Butcher, 26/4/17).
- RVL Stewards v Danny O’Brien, Mark Kavanagh and Dr Tom Brennan (Decisions of RADB of 23/12/15 and 20/1/16)
- Racing NSW v Sam Kavanagh, Dr Tom Brennan and Dr Adam Mathews (Racing Appeals Tribunal NSW decisions 6/5/16 and 17/6/16).
- Greyhound Racing Victoria v Jason Thompson (RADB 3/4/17 and GRV appeal to VCAT 6/9/17).
- Greyhound Racing Victoria v Braden Finn RADB decision 23/6/16 (cocaine presentation charge).
- Victorian Football Federation Tribunal on behalf of North Sunshine Eagles SC and Diellon Memishi (2015).
- Appeal against grand final disqualification on behalf of Melbourne East Basketball Association to Basketball Australia Appeals Tribunal (20/9/16).
- Appeal on behalf of James Lawton and Adam Cullen to AFL Riverina Appeal Tribunal 5/9/15.
Defamation/ suppression orders
- Appeared for Nationwide News Pty Ltd and the Age Company Pty Ltd before Bromberg J on 1/2/19 to oppose suppression application on behalf of the
AWU in AWU v Registered Organisations Commissioner and Ors
- Ptasznik v Australian Medical Association  VSC 275
- Appeared for ABC opposing application for blanket suppression order in DPP v Pell, Chief Judge Kidd, 24/5/18
- Stuart Johnston v Nicola Holland  VSC 597, John Dixon J, (with David Collins QC)
- Stuart Johnston v Nicola Holland  VSC 448, Derham AsJ
- Hanks v Johnston  VSC 570 and  VSC 149
- Johnston v Holland  VSC 340
- Nadinic v Nine Network Australia Pty Ltd (Supreme Court injunction application before Ginnane J, 13/5/15)
- Hanks v Johnston  VSC 629
Common law/personal injury
- Beau Hart v Beaumaris Junior Football Club, South Metro Junior Football League, and Bayside City Council (with
Jeff Moore QC)
- Multiple serious injury applications