Richard came to the Bar in 1996 and took silk in 2013.
He has extensive experience in complex litigation concerning many aspects of the law including commercial, civil, administrative, industrial and common law.
He is currently briefed on behalf of the Department of Premier and Cabinet in the Judicial Inquiry into the Hotel Quarantine Program and the State of Victoria at the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements.
Richard has acted for clients in a variety of matters, including:
- misleading and deceptive conduct cases in the Supreme and Federal Courts;
- restraint, breach of confidence and breach of fiduciary/statutory duties proceedings in the Supreme and Federal Courts;
- lease, franchise, insurance and breach of contract proceedings in the Supreme Court and the New South Wales Supreme Court;
- disciplinary actions concerning legal and health care providers;
- industrial and employment proceedings in the Supreme and Federal Courts and the Fair Work Commission;
- common law proceedings, including defamation and personal injury (including transport and workplace accident cases and asbestos cases) in the County and Supreme Courts;
- class actions and representative actions in the Supreme and Federal Courts; and
- Victorian Parliamentary Inquires and Royal Commissions.
The class actions and representative actions include the:
- Vocation class action (for the applicant);
- AMP class action (for the applicant);
- various employment based class actions (for the applicants);
- Willmott class action (for a firm of solicitors upon the settlement approval);
- Manus Island detainee class action (for a third party);
- Grevillea Youth Justice Precinct (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) representative action (for the State);
- Murrindindi-Marysville bushfire class action (for the plaintiff);
- Bonsoy class action (for a defendant);
- abalone class action (for the plaintiff); and
- Occupy Melbourne representative action (for the Council).
The inquiries and Royal Commissions include the:
- Judicial Inquiry into the Hotel Quarantine Program (Department of Premier and Cabinet);
- Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements (State of Victoria);
- Inquiry into Allegations made against the Auditor General (for the Auditor General);
- Fiskville Inquiry (for a witness);
- Hazelwood Mine Fire Board of Inquiry (for the State);
- Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption (for a union); and
- Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse (for a witness).
Richard is a member of the Dever List Committee.
From 12 Feb 2009, liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.